Sunday 10 April 2011

Weight 'Watchers' Loss Journey- 47 1/2 pounds and counting

So first post of the new blog. Here we go...
Ten days after my birthday last year, I decided that I needed to make a change. Weighing in at 13st2lbs or 83.8kg, a UK dress size of 18 (on a good day), I needed to lose weight.
The event that sparked my weight loss journey was trying on dresses. As a family we were going to (what I call) up-to-do restaurant, so to attempt to look a just a little bit formal, I started to try on evening dresses. Bad mistake. Big hit to the body confidence. Now I knew that Slimming World didn't work for me, I needed guidelines. Fad diets such as Atkins seemed extreme. Yet I had never heard anything negative about the dieting company 'Weight Watchers', so I decided to give it a go. Around 10 months later, and I've lost 3 1/2 stone.
I was inspired to start recording my weight loss by a story in the month Weight Watchers mag.  Bryher Hill, a lady who lost around 7st7lb seemed a true weight loss star! Yet the thing that most inspired me was her blog idea. When she started her weight loss journey, she also started a blog (Bryher's blog) . Reading through her article, I was struck by an idea. Well, okay..I politely robbed her idea. Since opening this blog I've wanted to include the day-to-day struggles of keeping to a diet. Yet self-doubt stopped me, I could clearly imagine embarrassing myself. Next my chatterbox, neatly located in the back of my mind, informed me that no-one would give a damn. Who cares?
So it finally got to a WW meeting, with my lovely WW leader Deb Haughton. While listening to the successes of my fellow WW members, I realised I had lost interest in losing weight. After achieving a loss of a few dress sizes, my energy for achieving my first goal of achieving a healthy BMI had dwindled. In the meeting I sit with my mother and few friends. Now the problem is that the front-seater's (as I call us) only talk about two things: Weight loss TV  programs and gorgeous baking treats. Not the best topics I know ha. Another topic that shone through was the problem of the once-a-week meeting was that by mid week we all seemed to have lull in our diets. Once again, I started to think about Bryher's blog. Maybe if I started to post weekly about my weekly struggles and successes I would start to find my inspiration again and the lull in my diet would slowly disappear. I'm going to try it out, so bear with me :)
Anyway large topic jump here: I really want to go and see 'Jane Eyre'
The idea of Mia Wasikowska , Michael Fassbender and Dame Judi Dench in one film amazes me. The production seems to follow horror style that is so prominent in the classic novel which is such a plus.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, just popped to by to see how you are getting on with blogging having "robbed" my idea...lol. In fact, it wasn't even my idea - Shauna Reid who wrote "The Amazing Adventures of Diet Girl" got me going - Google her!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
The story of someone's life? A tale of accomplishment? A tale of woe?